Kerley & Talken PC
free consultation
Our office remains open at this time. Consultations are available via telephone or Face-Time. In-person consultations are available on a case-by-case basis. The safety of our clients and employees is of the utmost importance.
View Blog Navigation

When can you request a post-divorce modification or appeal?

As someone who is getting a divorce in Illinois, it's important to know what you can or can't change after your divorce has been made final. Fortunately, there are still some adjustments you may be able to make no matter what stage in the divorce process you're at.

FindLaw states that motions for post-divorce modifications and appeals are something that one or even both spouses can make. Approval of divorce modifications are still up to the court, however. You essentially return to the court to request for a modification, which can be made for whatever reason. In many cases, requests for modifications stem from issues relating to your child custody situation. If circumstances change drastically enough, a parent that was awarded primary custody may no longer be suitable in the eyes of you or the court. Examples include spouses who are no longer available for parenting due to conviction of criminal charges and jail sentencing.

Temporary modification of child support payment schedules are also common. These changes can be made for any reason that relates to the income of the supporting parent. For example, if you got into an accident and lost income, if you were fired recently, or even if you started a new family and now have two to support.

Appeals, on the other hand, involve going to a higher court than the one you got your ruling at to try to get their ruling overturned. Though it is rare for a higher court to disagree and overturn the lower court's decision, it's still a possible option to consider.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Schedule A Consultation Today

Contact Us For A Free Consultation To discuss your legal matter with an attorney at our firm, call 217-814-0148 or complete the contact form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Kerley & Talken PC
431 S. Grand Ave West
Springfield, IL 62704

Phone: 217-814-0148
Fax: 217-523-0009
Map & Directions

Map Image