Kerley & Talken PC
free consultation
Our office remains open at this time. Consultations are available via telephone or Face-Time. In-person consultations are available on a case-by-case basis. The safety of our clients and employees is of the utmost importance.
View Blog Navigation

When is it time to modify your divorce settlement?

When you receive your final divorce settlement, it is not set in stone. Contrary to what some may think, your divorce decree can be changed or modified to reflect certain changes that may occur throughout your life. Life events may arise that could make it difficult for you to carry out the terms listed in your settlement. If this should occur, it is possible to petition the court to modify the settlement and revise the terms listed in your divorce decree.

There are different sections of your decree that you may wish to modify, such as your child support obligation or the child custody arrangement. These depend on the circumstances surrounding the situation. For example, the child support section of the divorce settlement may be changed if you have experienced any of the following has occurred:

  • Job loss

  • Diagnosis of medical condition

  • Incarceration

Furthermore, the child support order may be changed if your child has an increased need for on-going medical care. Child support modifications can be made every three years or if a significant change in a parent’s income causes an inability to continue making the current child support obligations.

A modification for child custody may be initiated if parents relocate or if one parent decides he or she can no longer uphold the arrangement made by the court. The change may involve a transfer from joint-custody to a sole-custody arrangement, or sole-custody to a joint-custody situation if a parent moves closer to the child.

This information is intended to educate and should not be taken as legal advice.



No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Schedule A Consultation Today

Contact Us For A Free Consultation To discuss your legal matter with an attorney at our firm, call 217-814-0148 or complete the contact form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Kerley & Talken PC
431 S. Grand Ave West
Springfield, IL 62704

Phone: 217-814-0148
Fax: 217-523-0009
Map & Directions

Map Image