Our office remains open at this time. Consultations are available via telephone or Face-Time. In-person consultations are available on a case-by-case basis. The safety of our clients and employees is of the utmost importance.

Did Your Attorney Commit Malpractice?

The practice of law isn’t just about money. Like doctors, lawyers have a legal and ethical duty to act in their clients’ interests. Attorneys who fail to do so may be held accountable.

At the Kerley & Talken PC, we represent people who have suffered financial harm as the result of errors or negligence by their lawyer. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case and determine if your lawyer may have committed malpractice. Call 217-814-0148 to talk to a lawyer. We represent victims of legal malpractice in Springfield and other communities in central Illinois.

What Is Legal Malpractice?

Not every case that ends badly is the result of malpractice. Just because you had an unfavorable outcome in your case does not mean that your lawyer committed malpractice. However, if you suffered financial loss as the result of a serious error or negligence of your attorney, you have the right to seek compensation.

Here are some examples of attorney conduct that may be considered legal malpractice:

  • Your lawyer missed a deadline for filing a lawsuit, and as a result you lost your case.
  • Your lawyer made mistakes in preparing legal documents, and you suffered financial harm as a result.
  • Your lawyer failed to bring up certain issues or make certain arguments that would have helped your case. (For example, your attorney failed to cite a relevant case or law.)
  • Your lawyer did not work on your case, or stopped working, and as a result it was thrown out.
  • Your lawyer settled your case without your approval
  • Your lawyer stole or misused your money

If your lawyer committed malpractice, you are entitled to compensation for the damages you suffered as a result.

For More Information About Legal Malpractice

If you think your lawyer made a serious error in your case, call 217-814-0148 or complete the contact form. We offer a free initial consultation.