Your Family Matters

Who pays for lost wages after an accident?

On Behalf of | Feb 23, 2017 | car accidents

A serious car accident can result in a long layoff from work. The combination of less money coming in and more going in the form of medical bills can put accident victims in a financial bind.

If another person caused the accident, his or her insurance company is responsible for paying all of the accident victim’s damages, including lost earnings.

Replacing lost income

The following are examples of lost earnings that an accident victim can recover from the at-fault party in Illinois:

  • Past earnings
  • Future earnings
  • Loss of earnings potential

The more serious your injury, the more you will need an experienced personal injury lawyer to document the value of your lost earnings. A serious accident may make it impossible to return to your old job. Your lawyer may need the help of an economist to document the present value of future earnings lost as the result of an accident.

Unfortunately, the insurance company of the at-fault driver will not compensate you for your losses until your case is resolved by negotiation or jury verdict. In the meantime, you will need to find another way to pay your bills.

One thing you should not do is discontinue medical treatment. If you stop your treatment, the insurance company will assume you have recovered and will pay you less money as a result.

Our experienced personal injury lawyers offer a free initial consultation to answer your questions about wage loss after an accident.