Your Family Matters

How can I guide my child during a divorce?

On Behalf of | Sep 4, 2019 | family law

When you and your spouse decide to get a divorce in Illinois, you may wonder how to help your child. It may take several months to finalize a divorce and this can be a stressful time for many families. It is a good idea to help your child cope with the new situation.

Your child may feel many emotions after you and your spouse break the news about the divorce. According to Kids Health, it is a good idea to let your child know that it is okay to have all of those feelings. You should usually listen as your child tells you how he or she feels. Sometimes your son or daughter may have difficulty expressing these emotions. In this situation, you might want to point out that your child seems sad and suggest talking about it. Once you and your child discuss all of these feelings, it is a good idea to try to help your child feel better. You may want to encourage your child to draw a picture for your spouse or arrange for your spouse to spend some one-on-one time with your son or daughter.

As you and your spouse move through the divorce process, your child might have many questions. He or she might ask what you will do during Christmas or if one of you will move. You may not have all of the answers to your child’s questions. It is important, though, to answer the questions that you can, even if you tell your child that you do not know yet.

Sometimes you and your spouse may argue during the divorce. It is a good idea to make sure you do not have these arguments in front of your child. Additionally, you should generally refrain from saying bad things about your spouse in front of your son or daughter. If your child is old enough to use the computer for homework, you might want to make sure he or she cannot access information about the divorce. If you keep your interactions with your spouse civil, your child may have an easier time adjusting to the new situation.

This information is general in nature and people should not use it in place of legal advice.