As you head out on Illinois roads, you may give little thought to what could happen as you go about your plans for the day. While sharing the roads with countless others, some of whom may be more interested in reading a text than keeping watch on the task at hand, disaster could strike at any given moment.
If another driver’s actions cause a crash to occur, you might walk away from the incident feeling somewhat shaken up but relatively unscathed. However, it might be in your best interests to use caution with what you do next as some common accident injuries can take hours, if not days to appear.
Hours or days after a crash
A variety of accident injuries can take time to develop symptoms, and the delayed response does not mean these injuries are harmless. Some examples of such injuries include the following:
- Head injuries: Headaches can be common among accident victims and, in some cases, may be indicators of deeper concerns, such as a concussion or a traumatic brain injury.
- Neck and shoulders: Pain in the neck and shoulders can be signs of a potential whiplash injury, which can take time to manifest and could have serious or even permanent health implications.
- Back pain: Back injuries can have a significant impact on your ability to perform a variety of everyday tasks, and such injuries might not appear for several days after a crash.
- Abdominal injuries: If you experience pain or swelling in or around your stomach, seeking medical attention is imperative as this could be a sign of internal bleeding.
- Emotional trauma: Emotional injuries can be just as severe as their physical counterparts, and signs of PTSD can also take time to manifest after a collision.
If the actions of a negligent driver leave you suffering the consequences, you might be wondering about the next steps to take to seek restitution, but the process can be complex at times.
The next steps
Suffering severe harm in a major collision can be a scary and stressful experience that could leave you staring down extensive medical costs and a long road to recovery. Following the crash, it might be in your best interests to speak with someone with intricate knowledge of such matters for much needed insight on all your available legal avenues. Seeking advice early on could help place you in a much better position to pursue the full amount of compensation you deserve through a personal injury claim.