Does it feel like your marriage has taken a turn for the worse? If so, then you might be wondering whether divorce is on the horizon. It’s a major decision, and one that can have a massive impact on your future. Therefore, before choosing to move toward divorce, you should take time to determine whether such action is right for you.
With that in mind, let’s look at some red flags that your marriage is over and you should consider moving on:
- Living like roommates: Marriage requires a certain level of intimacy. But if that intimacy is gone and you and your spouse don’t interact with each other very often other than to discuss practical things, then you might find yourself growing apart. This can lead to feelings of disconnectedness and even resentment. So, make sure you’re taking a close look at how you and your spouse communicate and live your lives together.
- Signs of infidelity: Many marriages end because one spouse cheats on the other. That’s not always easy to catch. However, you can keep an eye out for signs that your spouse may be in a relationship with someone else. This could include changes in the way they dress or their overall appearance, as well as how much time they’re spending away from home. If there are changes in your spouse’s behavior, then you might want to ask them some pointed questions about where they’re going and what they’re doing.
- You try to avoid your spouse: Whether it’s due to confrontation or a simple desire to be alone, avoiding your spouse could be a sign that your marriage is on the rocks. If you frequently do this, then you might want to take time to truly consider why you try to avoid your spouse and how that fits into the overall picture of your marriage.
- Changed values and priorities: People change over time. As you get deeper into your marriage, your values or priorities might change, and so can your spouse’s. When those values and priorities don’t line up, then it might be hard to support each other as a couple. This can lead to marital strain and justify marriage dissolution.
- The existence of abuse: Physical, verbal, emotional, and psychological abuse can have long-lasting complications. If you’re being subjected to any form of abuse, then you should think about finding a safe and efficient way out of your marriage.
- You’re simply unhappy: You should be happy in your marriage. That said, marriage requires work. But if you feel like your spouse isn’t putting in the effort to keep your relationship strong, you feel like your interactions with your spouse are constantly conflictual, or your spouse has become unreliable, then your marriage might be coming to end. Although that might leave you feeling sad, divorce really can invigorate you given that it can get you out of an unhappy situation and provide you with the freedom that you need.
Are you ready to take action on your marriage?
If any of the above-mentioned red flags are present in your marriage, then you might want to start considering whether divorce is right for you.